Skip to main content

Full text of "Early history of the Santee Club"

See other formats


3  5197  00143120  7 



^^^ES  SOUTH  WOLlNn^ 











of  the 


^  J^^^/J-'^^/^ 

-"■^^^^/jc  -viS^*^^'^ 

Limited  Edition.  Copy  Number 



of  the 



By  Henry  H.  Carter 

Secretary  in  1904 


J  3  '^ 




THE  Santee  Club  of  South  Carolina  was  organized  in  1898.  The  purpose 
of  the  Club  was  to  "acquire  tracts  of  land  in  South  Carolina  and  to  use 
and  maintain  the  same  as  a  private  preserve  for  the  benefit  of  its  members 
for  the  purpose  of  hunting,  fishing,  yachting,  health,  rest  and  recreation."  Also 
other  purposes  set  forth  in  the  printed  constitution  in  the  Club  book. 

CAPT  HucH  R.Garden 





The  Santee  Club  was  promoted  by  Capt.  Hugh  R.  Garden  of  New  York. 
Capt.  Garden  was  a  native  of  Sumter,  South  Carolina.  He  was  born  about 
1838  and  commanded  a  battalion  of  artillery  on  the  Confederate  side  in  the 
Civil  War.  Capt.  Garden,  before  organizing  the  Club,  acquired  personally 
the  following  properties  at  Santee: 

Blake's  Plantation,  Ormond  Hall,  Little  Murphy  Island. 

He  also  leased  the  Fairfield  plantation,  about  three  miles  northwest  of  the 
present  Club  House,  on  which  there  was  a  house  suitable  for  a  Club.  He  also 
acquired  leases  for  shooting  purposes  on  Big  Murphy  Island  and  Cedar  Island. 
A  fifty-foot  steamboat  called  the  Nakoma  was  also  acquired  by  him  to  take 
members  from  the  Club  House  to  the  various  islands,  a  distance  of  about  seven 


miles.   Thus  equipped,  he  cnHsted  the  following  named  men  as  original  charter 


Hugh  R.  Garden,  New  York 

Thomas  E.  Richardson,  Georgetown,  S.  C. 

H.  E.  Young,  Charleston,  S.  C. 

Burton  N.  Harrison,  New  York 

James  H.  Parker,  New  York 

Thomas  Pinckney,  Charleston,  S.  C. 

H.  M.  Rutledge,  Santee,  S.  C. 

J.  W.  Woolfolk,  New  York 

E.  P.  Alexander,  Georgetown,  S.  C. 

George  Gordon  Battle,  New  York 

James  Lindsay  Gordon,  New  York 

Hugh  R.  Garden,  New  York 
E.  C.  Benedict,  Greenwich,  Conn. 
D.  J.  Carroll,  New  York 
John  W.  Cox,  New  York 
Isaac  E.  Emerson,  Baltimore,  Md. 

C.  S.  Hebard,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

D.  L.  Hebard,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 
George  Hoyt,  New  York 
Theodore  Hoyt,  New  York 
Walter  S.  Hoyt,  New  York 
Clarence  H.  Mackey,  New  York 
Henry  May,  Washington,  D.  C. 
G.  S.  McAlpine,  New  York 
Robert  Ober,   Philadelphia,  Pa. 
Andrew  Simonds,  Charleston,  S.  C. 
J.  W.  Woolfolk,  New  York 


Grover  Cleveland,  Washington,  D.  C. 

Capt.  Thomas  Pinckney,  Charleston,  S.  C. 

There  are  no  records  of  shooting  or  other  doings  of  the  Club  for  the  three 

years  from  1898  to  1900.     An  interesting  story  is  to  the  effect  that  President 

Cleveland  made  several  visits  to  the  Club.    He  came  by  rail  and  lived  on  the 

U.  S.  Coast  Survey  boat,  "Water  Lily,"  commanded  by  Com.  B.  P.  Lamberton, 

U.  S.  N.    He  was  usually  accompanied  by  Capt.  Robley  D.  Evans,  afterwards 

Admiral;  Com.  S.  M.  Ackley,  U.  S.  N.,  and  Com.  E.  C  Benedict  of  the  New 

i:arly  history  of  the  santee  club 

York  Yacht  Club.  President  Cleveland  had  a  blind  in  Black  Point  named 
after  him.  He  also  had  a  special  wide  skiff  to  take  his  265  pounds  up  the 
canals  to  the  ponds.  Rumor  has  it  that  the  crew  and  marines  of  the  "Water 
Lily"  were  sent  ashore  to  neighboring  ponds  with  rifles  to  keep  the  ducks 
stirring.  Reproduction  of  the  original  letter  from  President  Cleveland  to 
Mr.  Beckman,  Santee  Club  Superintendent,  is  shown  below. 

ORK  crpicc 

..  ..  .....w  .r  SANTEE  CLUB 

Santek,  s.  c 

^/^>-uf    ^ 

^^.^  yiy^.y^  ^,,^. 

^  ~2i<x^^ 



The  Santee  Club  passed  through  three  years  of  strenuous  existence.  Dues 
(which  were  $125.00  per  year)  and  charges,  were  insufficient  to  keep  the 
Club  solvent  and  bills  were  long  unpaid;  and  in  1900  the  Club  seemed  to  be 
on  its  last  legs. 

In  the  summer  of  1900  Mr.  E.  D.  Jordan,  of  Boston,  met  on  a  European 
steamer  some  member  of  the  Santee  Club  (name  unknown),  who  gave  an 
enthusiastic  description  of  the  shooting  and  pleasures  of  the  Santee  Club,  and 
suggested  that  Mr.  Jordan  become  a  member.  Mr.  Jordan  was  so  impressed 
that  he  accepted  the  invitation  and  joined  the  club.  In  December,  1900, 
Mr.  Jordan  invited  the  following  Bostonians  to  accompany  him  on  his  first 
visit  to  the  Club  for  a  week's  shoot: — 

Francis  Peabody,  Jr. 

Henry  E.  Russell 

Gardner  Perry 

Henry  H.  Carter 
Mr.  Jordan  knew  very  little  about  the  Club  but  thought  that  tuxedoes  would 
not  be  required  at  dinner,  when  asked  for  his  opinion.  The  party  arrived  at 
Georgetown,  S.  C,  via  Lanes,  in  due  time.  Mr.  Jordan,  having  written  to  the 
Club  that  he,  with  a  party  of  four  friends,  would  arrive  by  the  morning  train, 
expected  to  be  met  at  the  railroad  station  by  some  servant  of  the  Club,  and 
his  friends  rather  expected  the  man  to  be  in  livery.  No  one  from  the  Club 
showed  up,  so  inquiry  was  made  as  to  the  whereabouts  of  the  Santee  Club 
boat.  After  much  inquiry,  it  was  learned  that  the  boat  was  at  C.  L.  Ford's 
wharf,  to  which  the  party  drove  with  their  luggage.  The  boat  was  there,  all 
right,  but  no  captain  or  crew,  and  no  steam  up.  Mr.  Ford  finally  located  the 
captain  at  the  latter's  house  and  he  shortly  afterward  turned  up.  He  told 
Mr.  Jordan  he  had  received  his  letter  telling  him  what  time  the  party  would 
arrive,  but  explained  his  failure  to  meet  it  by  the  statement  that  "mostly  when 


JAM.-    I900. 


the  gentlemen  wrote  they  would  come  at  a  ecrtain  time,  they  failed  to  show  up 
and  so  he  had  adopted  the  idea  of  waiting  until  they  actually  appeared  before 
he  got  up  steam  and  rounded  up  the  crew." 

The  Club  boat  (Gardenia)  was  like  an  old-fashioned  Mississippi  steamboat, 
about  seventy-five  feet  long  and  twenty  feet  wide,  with  a  large  paddle-wheel 
at  the  stern.  This  gave  her  a  speed  of  about  five  miles  per  hour  under  favorable 
conditions  of  current  and  wind.  After  stocking  up  the  boat  with  provisions, 
a  start  was  finally  made,  and  at  about  6.00  P.  M.  the  boat  reached  the  Club 
House  at  Fairfield,  about  three  miles  north  of  the  present  Club  House.  Coming 
out  of  Six  Mile  Creek  into  the  South  Santee  River,  Mr.  Perry's  dog  fell  over- 
board and  as  it  was  pitch  dark  he  was  supposed  to  be  lost.  On  arriving  at  the 
Fairfield  dock,  Mr.  Perry  was  warmly  greeted  by  the  dog  who  had  swum 
to  the  river  bank  and  then  followed  the  boat. 

On  arriving  at  the  dock,  which  was  m  the  last  stages  of  decay,  there  was  no 
light  or  sign  of  any  building  or  person.    Loud  halloos  finally  brought  an  old 


1838  -  \908. 


colored  woman  with  a  lantern  who  said  she  had  the  Club  House  keys  and 
would  show  us  in.  On  entering  the  house,  it  looked  as  if  it  had  been  unin- 
habited for  at  least  a  year.  Dust  was  an  inch  thick.  Window  panes  were 
broken,  and  leaky  ceilings  had  tumbled  the  plaster  from  off  the  ceiling  of  the 
bedrooms  onto  the  beds.  The  party  was  glad  that  no  tuxedoes  had  been 
brought.  It  was  evident  that  the  house  was  uninhabitable,  and  the  party  went 
back  to  the  boat,  which  was  a  very  comfortable  old  trap,  with  good  staterooms 
and  comfortable  beds.    Also  it  was  clean  and  attractive  looking. 

Mr.  Charles  Mills,  head  guide  of  the  Club,  showed  up  and  advised  dropping 
seven  miles  down  the  river  so  as  to  be  near  the  shooting  grounds  in  the  morn- 
ing. This  was  done,  and  the  next  morning  the  party  went  ashore  at  Cedar 
Island  and  shot  in  three  ponds,  two  in  a  blind  in  two  ponds,  and  a  single 
man  in  the  third.  The  shooting  was  very  poor  and  Mr.  Jordan  was  very  discon- 
solate over  the  whole  proceedings.  The  next  morning  the  party  went  over  to 
Little  Murphy  Island  and  shot  in  three  ponds  with  the  same  poor  result  and 
mention  was  made  of  the  advisability  of  starting  for  home.  At  about  this  stage 
of  the  game.  Chief  Guide  Mills  (who  was  stone  deaf)  spoke  up  and  said  that 
he  was  sorry  the  party  were  so  disappointed  with  the  shooting;  that  there  were 
plenty  of  ducks  in  the  vicinity,  on  Big  Murphy  Island,  but  as  the  rent  of  the 
island  had  not  been  paid  for  two  years,  no  Santee  Club  man  was  allowed  to 
shoot  there.  He  thought  we  might  be  interested  however  to  just  see  the  ducks. 
The  party  accordingly  went  in  the  "Gardenia"  down  the  river  to  opposite  Black 
Point  Pond.  Going  ashore  in  the  skiffs  and  landing  on  the  beach,  the  party 
was  met  by  an  armed  guard  named  Pepper  who  ordered  us  off.  Guide  Mills 
explained  the  situation  and  said  the  gentlemen  had  seen  no  ducks  and  did  not 
believe  there  were  any  in  the  country  and  he  just  wanted  to  give  them  a  view 
of  the  ducks.  Pepper  agreed  we  could  see  them  but  on  no  account  to  make 
any  noise  to  disturb  them,  and  we  all  crawled  up  the  beach  to  its  crest.  We 
carefully  peeked  over  the  crest  and  the  water  surface  of  what  creeks  we  could 
see  was  black  with  ducks.  Guide  Mills,  who  had  brought  his  paddle  on  shore, 
dropped  it  accidentally  (.'')  on  a  log.  The  nearest  ducks  arose  with  a  roar  and 
the  scare  was  communicated  to  all  the  ducks  in  Black  Point  Marsh.  It  is  no 
exaggeration  to  state  there  were  several  hundred  thousand.  None  of  us,  although 
we  had  shot  in  North  Dakota,  North  Carolina,  Texas,  etc.,  had  ever  seen  such 
a  sight.  An  endeavor  was  at  once  made  to  bribe  Watchman  Pepper,  but  he  was 
honest  (we  afterwards  found  out  he  was  crazy),  and  he  ordered  us  back  to 
our  boat.  We  found  the  island  was  owned  by  Mr.  Lucas  of  Charleston,  and 
Mr.  Jordan  decided  to  at  once  get  in  touch  with  Mr.  Lucas  and  pay  up  the 
back  rent,  so  he  could  give  his  guests  some  shooting.    Mr.  Peabody,  who  was 




a  lawyer,  at  once  started  to  see  Mr.  Lucas.  He  returned  the  next  day,  having 
paid  up  $800.00  in  back  rent  and  brought  a  letter  to  Pepper  to  allow  us  to 
shoot.  We  at  once  made  preparation  for  a  big  shoot  the  next  day.  We  went 
ashore  and  all  five  of  us  shot  in  Ocean  Pond  in  three  blinds,  two  in  two 
blinds  and  one  in  the  third.  It  was  a  constant  cannonade  and  each  blind 
spoiled  the  shooting  of  the  others  every  time  a  gun  was  fired.  Nevertheless, 
each  blind  produced  about  fifty  ducks  and  between  150  and  200  birds  were 
killed — all  mallards. 

Mr.  Lucas  greatly  desired  to  sell  Big  Murphy  to  Mr.  Jordan  and  named  a 
price  of  $22,500.00.  Mr.  Jordan  had  the  feeling  that  Santee  Club  matters 
had  been  misrepresented  to  him  and  that  he  had  not  been  informed  of  the  run- 
down condition  of  the  Club,  its  debts  and  lapsed  leases.  Under  the  circum- 
stances he  felt  no  compunction  in  buying  the  Big  Murphy  property  for  himself; 
which  he  did.  After  getting  the  property  he  entered  into  negotiations  with 
Captain  Garden  and  the  other  members,  with  a  view  of  making  a  reorganization 
of  the  Club. 

The  exact  details  of  this  reorganization  are  not  known,  but  in  general  Mr. 
Jordan  agreed  to  furnish  ten  new  members,  and  throw  in  as  his  and  the  con- 
tribution of  the  ten  new  members,  the  Big  Murphy  Island.  The  other  mem- 
bers agreed  to  pay  off  all  old  debts  of  the  Club  and  to  turn  in  Blake's  Planta- 
tion, Ormond  Hall  and  Little  Murphy  Island. 

The  ten  members  from  Boston  put  into  the  Club  by  Mr.  Jordan  were  as 

*  John  Bryant  t  B.  Nason  Hamlin 
f  H.  H.  Carter  *  Robert  Jordan 

*  J.  H.  Hutchins  *  Harry  Dutton 
t  Francis  Peabody,  Jr.  *  N.  C.  Nash 

*  H.  E.  Russell  *  H.  N.  Richards 

(*)    indicates   deceased.  (t)    indicates   share   sold.  (|)    indicates  still   a   member. 



The  lease  of  Fairfield  and  the  old  Club  House  was  abandoned.  A  new 
Constitution  and  By-Laws  were  adopted  and  the  membership  of  the  new  Club 
limited  to  40.  Since  1900  a  score  book  has  been  kept  of  the  shooting  and  all 
shooting  is  a  matter  of  record. 

The  Club  boat  "Gardenia,"  acquired  in  1899,  was  an  old  steam  boat  with 
a  paddle  wheel  in  the  stern.  It  served  as  a  club  house  until  1902  when  the 
present  house  was  finished.  The  new  club  house  was  built  under  difficult  cir- 
cumstances. The  contractor  found  he  was  losing  money  and  it  was  rumored 
that  when  he  desired  to  throw  up  the  whole  business  and  leave,  he  and  his 
men  were  kept  at  work  by  Captain  Garden  armed  with  a  pistol.  The  present 
location  of  the  Club  House  was  the  subject  of  long  debate.  One  faction,  on 
the  claim  that  the  Santce  Club  was  almost  exclusively  a  duck  club,  wanted  to 
locate  the  house  in  the  woods  near  Black  Point  Pond  on  Big  Murphy  Island. 
This  faction  was  out-voted  and  the  present  Club  House  site  selected. 

CL-UB  BOAT  Happy  days 

I90b  -TO   19  2S  WOOD   BUKNER 

In  1904  a  survey  of  the  boat  "Gardenia"  showed  she  was  a  mere  shell  (see 
report  in  Club  Record,  November  20,  1904),  and  was  bored  through  and 
through  by  teredos,  and  it  therefore  became  necessary  to  buy  a  new  boat. 
This  brought  on  a  heated  discussion.  Some  members  wanted  a  "fast  dispatch 
boat."  Others  a  modern  boat  with  more  speed  than  the  old  "Gardenia,"  but 
with  sleeping  accommodations  and  cooking  facilities.  Captain  Isaac  Emerson, 
a  member  of  the  Club,  was  appointed  as  a  committee  to  decide  the  matter. 
The  result  was  a  boat  with  sleeping  and  cooking  accommodations  and  a  speed 
of  about  eight  miles  per  hour.    The  boat  was  designed  to  use  gasolene,  and 


on  paper  looked  like  a  satisfactory  boat.  After  the  hull  oi  this  boat  ("Happy 
Days")  was  completed,  it  was  decided  to  make  a  steamboat  of  her  and  burn 
wood  for  fuel.  To  do  this  necessitated  a  very  large  and  heavy  boiler  and 
engine.  This  boiler  and  engine  were  put  in  the  boat  without  changing  the 
hnes  of  the  hull.  The  result  was  the  boat  was  so  low  in  the  water  that  the 
deck  at  the  stern  only  cleared  the  water  by  six  inches.  It  took  four  months 
to  bring  the  boat  from  New  York  to  Santee  as  it  was  not  safe  to  proceed 
except  in  a  calm.  This  boat  was  satisfactory  after  arrival  at  Santee,  but  was 
very  expensive  to  run  as  she  required  a  duplicate  set  of  house  servants  in 
addition  to  the  crew. 

This  boat  lasted  until  1925  when  the  yearly  increased  expense  on  repairs 
and  the  regular  expense  of  running  the  boat  became  too  heavy,  and  a  new  boat 
was  purchased.  A  stock  boat  of  the  EIco  Boat  Co.  was  purchased,  thirty-five  feet 
long,  named  "Happy  Days,"  and  is  now  running.  After  the  purchase  of  this 
boat,  breakfast  and  lunch  were  eaten  at  the  Club  House  instead  of  on  the  boat. 

In  1907  Mr.  Jordan  presented  the  Club  with  the  launch  "Widgeon"  which 
boat  is  still  in  excellent  condition  and  in  daily  use.  In  1925  Messrs.  C.  S.  and 
D.  L.  Hebard  presented  the  Club  with  the  boat  which  is  now  named  the 
"Gardenia."  This  boat  was  extensively  altered  over  to  suit  the  Club  purposes 
and  is  now  in  daily  use. 

On  the  reorganization  of  the  Club  in  1900,  Mr.  Dupree,  a  neighboring 
planter,  was  appointed  superintendent.  On  April  15,  1905,  Mr.  Dupree  was 
replaced  by  our  present  efficient  superintendent,  Mr.  L.  A.  Beckman,  who  was 
a  rice  planter  at  Blackwood.  Mr.  Charles  Mills,  a  professional  market  hunter, 
was  appointed  Chief  Guide  in  1898.  He  was  a  natural  duck  man  and  knew 
all  about  ducks  and  the  marsh.  As  a  market  shooter,  he  once  shot  forty-three 
mallards  with  one  barrel  in  a  creek  on  Big  Murphy.  Mills  was  very  deaf,  and 
in  a  turkey  blind  when  acting  as  guide,  conveyed  his  instructions  by  signs. 
This  may  have  accounted  for  the  numerous  hard-luck  stories  told  by  members 
who  returned  to  the  Club  House,  having  "missed  the  turkey."  Mills'  son  Eli 
acted  as  Assistant  Head  Guide  for  many  years  and  now  is  Head  Guide  at  the 
Kinloch  Plantation.  He  knew  the  marsh  thoroughly  and  was  courageous  enough 
to  tackle  armed  poachers  when  he  caught  them  in  the  marsh. 

Many  discussions  have  arisen  concerning  the  number  of  ducks  frequenting 
the  Club  marshes  in  1900  as  compared  with  the  present  time  (1933).  It  is 
certain  there  has  been  a  very  great  decrease.  The  duck  food  area  of  the  Santee 
deltas  has  tremendously  decreased.  In  1900  and  for  many  years  after,  there 
were  very  large  rice  plantations  on  both  Santee  rivers.  Beginning  at  about  our 
Club  House  on  the  south  side  of  the  river,  the  rice  fields  extended  up  river  for 
miles.  Messrs.  Doar,  Lucas,  Lowndes,  Rutledge,  Seabrooke,  Graham  and  many 
others  raised  rice.    On  the  north  side  of  the  river  Mr.  Beckman  and  others 


OF      THE  ^ 


OF     THE 



SCALE    I    INCH    =    1667    FEET 

NOV.  II909  ^^ 

HH  Garter 



CornGrisi.     [_J 
Fidds.     ^"; 


■Woods.  3S 

SoivlfiYtD  -..   DB,>».w^<  Wi-ttT 





Feb.    1929 

raised  rice  at  Blackwood,  Fanny  Meade,  Tranquility  and  many  other  plantations. 
Ducks  fed  in  these  fields  at  night  and  at  daybreak  flew  down  to  our  shallow, 
brackish  and  salt  water  ponds  near  the  ocean  beach.  Ocean  Pond,  Black  Point, 
Beach    Pond,    Wood's    Pond,    Graveyard,    Coy,    Peter    and    many    others    were 


crowded  with  ducks  during  the  day.  They  came  down  from  the  fields  where  they 
had  fed  all  night  in  order  to  play  and  rest  in  the  shallow  salt  water  ponds. 
No  duck  food  to  speak  of  existed  in  these  ponds.  Thousands  and  thousands 
of  ducks  passed  down  the  river  at  daybreak  and  returned  up  river  at  night. 
It  was  seldom  one  saw  any  ducks  on  entering  a  pond  at  daybreak.  Now  the 
whole  situation  has  changed.  There  are  now  no  extensive  rice  fields  up  river. 
Ducks  still  feed  up  river  but  to  a  less  extent.  By  the  manipulation  of  dams 
and  trunks,  our  marshes  have  been  changed  from  salt  water  marshes  to  fresh 
water  or  brackish  marshes.  Duck  food  in  these  marshes  has  been  cultivated 
and  now  there  are  many  beach  and  marsh  ponds  with  duck  food  in  them.  The 
result  is  that  many  ducks  stay  in  these  ponds  day  and  night  and  feed  and  play 
there.  Formerly  there  were  no  laws  about  shooting  ducks.  No  "limit."  This 
must  be  taken  into  consideration  when  bags  of  1900  are  compared  with  present 
bags.  Frequently  very  large  bags  could  be  obtained  even  now,  if  there  was  no 
law  about  the  number  to  be  shot.  In  the  early  days  of  the  Club,  members  quit 
at  noon  as  they  do  now.  Most  members  had  tin  or  wooden  shell  boxes,  and  if 
a  good  blind  had  been  drawn  and  weather  conditions  looked  good,  a  member 
usually  filled  his  shell  box  and  also  slipped  a  few  extra  shells  in  his  pocket. 
He  then  stayed  in  the  blind  until  twelve  o'clock  or  until  his  shells  were  shot 
away,  which  frequently  happened  by  10.30  A.  M. 

A  day's  shooting  in  1933  may  be  of  interest.  Five  men  were  at  the  Club. 
They  had  had  a  successful  duck  shoot  in  the  morning,  each  man  getting  his  limit. 
After  the  usual  pleasant  luncheon,  a  snipe  drive  in  River  Row  Fields  yielded 
47  birds. 

A    iSoa    BAG   . 

r    HWRY  CARTER. . 


The  gunners  were  returning  on  the  cross  bank  beside  Brick  Mill  Rice  Field 
when  a  big  buck  was  reported  as  having  dodged  into  the  thicket  between  the 
Landing  and  the  Club  House.  Everyone  was  excited,  particularly  the  boys 
because  Superintendent  Beckman  promised  each  boy  25c  if  the  buck  was  jumped, 
and  50c  if  a  shot  was  fired. 

There  was  much  scurrying  around  for  shells,  and  the  gunners  were  then 
strung  out  on  various  stands  and  the  boys  ordered  in.  Such  whooping  and  yelling 
was  never  heard.  Big  doings.  The  nine-point  buck  which  was  shot  was  a 
real  beauty. 

The  Secretary  says  that  our  experienced  guides  who  have  been  on  the  marshes 
daily  for  many  years  report  that  ducks  were  more  plentiful  this  season  than  for 
five  years. 

In  1918  a  U.  S.  Law  was  passed  limiting  the  number  of  ducks  shot  daily 
to  25.    The  law  in  1933  limits  the  number  to  12. 

About  the  year  1900  the  following  were  the  principal  duck  ponds  used  by 

1  Black  Point  7  Boggy 

*2  Peter  *8  Coy 

3  Eagle's  Grave  9  Ocean 

4  Graveyard  *10  Point  Stand 
*5  Beach  *11  The  Slough 
*6  Goose  *12  Mallard 

1 3     Palmetto 

(*)    indicates  ponds  now  grown  up  and   abandoned    (1933). 

At  the  end  of  the  Civil  War  there  was  left  on  Big  Murphy  Island  a  herd 
of  cattle.  These  cattle  gradually  became  wild  and  afforded  good  sport  in  hunt- 
ing them.  Usually  members  took  to  trees  on  well-known  run-ways  and  the 
guide  drove  the  cattle  by  them.  Several  members  who  failed  to  take  to  trees 
before  the  drive  commenced,  were  glad  to  reach  them  when  charged  by  furious 
bulls.  Mr.  I.  E.  Emerson  was  one  who  narrowly  escaped  injury.  These  cattle 
were  ordered  by  the  U.  S.  authorities  about  1928  to  be  "dipped"  and  dis- 
infected. As  it  was  impossible  to  comply  with  this  law,  the  cattle  were  killed. 
A  few  attempts  were  made  to  eat  the  meat.  The  guides  could  eat  it,  but  it 
was  too  strong  for  the  Club  members.  The  meat  tasted  like  marsh  sedge.  The 
following  interesting  account  of  a  bull  hunt  will  be  found  in  the  Club  Record 
book,  April  1,  1902,  by  Mr.  Hamlin. 

"Mr.  Dupree  came  aboard  early  with  his  hounds  and  we  roamed  over  Cedar 
Island— saw  some  deer  tracks.    Enjoyed  a  most  delightful  walk  through  the 



live  oak  road  by  the  old  summer  houses,   now  in  decay,  to  the  sand  dunes 
against  which  dashed  the  ever  restless  waves  of  the  broad  Atlantic. 

"After  luncheon  a  start  was  made  for  what  turned  out  to  be  the  most  exciting 
wild  bull  chase  on  record.  A  tramp  to  the  further  end  of  Big  Murphy  dis- 
covered a  herd  of  fifteen  cattle  grazing  far  out  on  the  marshes.  Mr.  Dupree 
volunteered  to  alone  go  out  and  start  them  in.  When  they  caught  sight  of  him 
the  entire  herd  made  straight  for  him  and  had  he  not  stepped  aside  they  surely 
would  have  trampled  him  to  death.  The  onlookers—  strong  men  all — wept  in 
sheer  fright.  Mr.  Dupree  wounded  a  yearling  as  the  herd  rushed  past  and  the 
men  stationed  on  the  edge  of  the  wood  gave  chase  merrily — the  herd  was  fol- 
lowed by  the  track  of  the  wounded  calf  and  put  in  flight  again  in  a  quarter  of 
an  hour.  By  a  short  cut  over  a  knoll  Mr.  Hamlin  succeeded  in  sending  a  bullet 
just  behind  the  shoulder  of  the  leading  bull,  Mr.  Robert  Jordan  immediately 
giving  him  a  charge  of  00  shot.  By  nimble  hurdling  Mr.  Hamlin  managed  to 
get  a  second  shot,  as  the  first  had  taken  severe  effect,  and  in  about  200  yards 
the  bull  came  to  earth — but,  rising,  was  at  bay  in  a  dense  thicket  from  which 
he  was  at  the  point  of  charging  his  pursuers  when  four  rounds  of  buckshot 

from  Mills'  gun  toppled  him  over.  The  entire  party  was  summoned  by  horn 
and  shouts  and  midst  general  rejoicing  his  (the  bull's)  picture  was  taken  with 
his  pleasantest  expression.  The  chase  was  continued  by  most  of  the  party  and 
many  shots  were  made  but  no  further  'kills'." 

Before  1918  when  a  law  was  passed  prohibiting  wood  duck  shooting,  good 
sport  was  obtained  every  evening  by  shooting  them  on  a  pass  about  one-half 
mile  west  of  the  Club  House.    The  ducks  spent  the  daytime  in  the  "Reserve" 



and  at  sunset  they  took  flight  and  crossed  a  certain  place  in  the  road  west  of 
the  Club  House,  and  continued  on  across  the  South  Santee  River  to  some  place 
unknown.  There  is  still  a  nightly  flight,  but  the  law  prevents  shooting  wood 

Snipe  shooting  was  found  on  old  rice  fields  on  "the  Cape"  about  one  mile 
from  the  Club  House.  The  snipe  were  walked  up  and  as  the  marsh  was  soft, 
it  was  laborious  shooting.  About  10  years  ago  the  fields  northwest  of  the 
Club  House  were  prepared  and  the  snipe  were  driven  to  the  gunners  who  were 
posted  at  intervals  on  the  "banks."  There  also  was  good  dove  shooting  near 
the  Club  House,  but  over-shooting  has  greatly  reduced  the  number  of  doves. 

The  map  of  the  ponds  on  the  property  was  prepared  by  enlarging  the  regular 
U.  S.  Coast  survey  chart  on  the  scale  of  1  to  80,000  to  the  scale  of  the  map, 
1  to  20,000.  The  method  was  to  locate  by  compass  bearings  from  creek 
entrances,  houses,  or  anything  else  on  the  U.  S.  chart  along  the  Santee  River 
and  Alligator  Creek,  various  prominent  objects  in  the  marsh,  such  as  high 
trees  in  the  woods,  "woody  islands"  on  the  marsh,  stakes,  or  anything  else 
that  could  probably  be  seen  from  the  ponds  and  canals  desired  to  be  located. 
Then  cross  compass  bearings  from  the  ponds  to  these  known  marks  enabled 
the  ponds  to  be  located.  The  canals  and  creeks  had  to  be  located  by  pocket 
compass  courses  and  estimated   distances,   as  the  guide  paddled  the  surveyor. 


Nov.    1931 


These  methods  are,  of  course,  crude.  Nevertheless  a  fair  idea  of  the  ponds, 
canals  and  creeks  and  woods  has  been  obtained.  Probably  all  ponds  are  shown 
within  400  feet  of  their  real  location. 

In  1925  Messrs.  C.  M.  Clark,  D.  B.  Wentz,  C.  S.  Hebard,  F.  T.  Patterson, 
D.  E.  Pomeroy,  I.  T.  Starr  and  W.  L.  McLean  gave  to  the  Club,  the  cost  of  an 
extension  of  bed-rooms,  amounting  to  $3,100.00,  and  paid  for  the  expense  of 
installing  a  system  of  plumbing  whereby  every  bed-room  in  the  house  was 
supplied  with  wash  basins  and  hot  and  cold  water. 

An  electric  light  system  and  radio  set  were  put  in  in  1923  at  the  expense 
of  the  above-mentioned  members.  A  shower  bath  was  also  contributed  by 
Mr.  Jay  Cooke,  member  of  the  Club. 

The  house  is  now  one  of  the  most  luxurious  and  comfortable  in  the  country 
for  shooting  purposes. 

The  part  of  Cedar  Island,  now  shot  over,  was  acquired  at  an  expense  of 

In  addition  to  the  properties  before  mentioned  as  being  incorporated  into 
the  Club,  the  following  have  since  been  acquired: 

Blackwood  and  other  plantations,  which  were  originally  bought  from  Mr. 
L.  A.  Beckman  by  Mr.  E.  D.  Jordan  as  a  private  shooting  place,  were  acquired  in 
1925  by  the  Club  at  an  expense  of  $4,000.00. 

Mazyck  plantation,  owned  by  Messrs.  Hoyt,  Fish  and  Fleitman  (members 
of  the  Club)  and  used  by  them  as  a  private  shooting  place,  was  acquired  by  the 
Club  in  1924  at  an  expense  of  $11,000.00. 

The  Santee  Club  now  owns  about  twenty-five  thousand  acres  of  marshes,  ponds 
and  creeks,  practically  the  entire  area  on  both  sides  of  the  South  Santee  River 
for  seven  miles  from  its  mouth;  the  home  of  black  mallard,  sprigtail,  teal  and  all 
the  larger  marsh  ducks  during  the  winter  migration;  also  surrounding  the  Club 
House,  between  five  or  six  thousand  acres  of  pine  land  with  old  rice  fields  adjoin- 
ing. Good  snipe  and  deer  shooting;  also  quail,  woodcock,  wild  turkey  and 
doves  are  found  in  these  woods. 

On  the  original  Blakes  plantation,  on  the  Santee  Club  grounds,  there  is  an 
extensive  reservoir.  This  reservoir  was  made  to  conserve  water  to  irrigate  the 
rice  fields.  A  fresh  water  creek,  entering  the  South  Santee  River,  was  dammed 
up  about  a  mile  from  the  present  Club  House  and  a  reservoir  was  created 
running  back  from  the  dam,  about  four  miles.  The  reservoir  is  full  of  cypress 
trees  covered  with  moss  and  is  a  weird  and  beautiful  sight.  In  this  area  is  the 
second  largest  colony  of  egrets  in  the  United  States.  A  census  some  years 
ago  showed  about  five  hundred  of  these  beautiful  birds.  The  Club  has  for 
several  years  gone  to  considerable  expense  in  protecting  these  birds.    This  pro- 


tection  has  also  involved  some  danger  to  the  watchmen,  as  the  value  of  the 
feathers   is  so  great  that  poachers   are   willing   to   take   desperate   chances   to 

VvASHO  RL^LRVl.  Jan.    1932 

secure  them.  This  reservoir,  known  as  the  "Reserve,"  is  the  sanctuary  in  winter 
of  thousands  of  mallards  at  certain  stages  of  the  water  level.  No  shooting  of 
ducks  is  allowed  in  the  Reserve,  and  it  is  kept  as  a  sanctuary. 

I:ARLY  history  of  the  SANTEE  club  21 

This  Reserve  Sanctuary  and  the  Nesting  Colony  of  Egrets  are  quite  famcjus 
and  attract  a  considerable  number  of  visitors.  One  <jf  these  visitors,  in  the 
spring  of  1933,  noticed  numerous  turkey  buzzards  in  the  trees  over  the  egrets' 
nests  and  several  times  saw  buzzards  drop  down  on  the  nests,  pick  up  the  young 
birds,  and  drop  or  kick  them  out  of  the  nests  into  the  water. 

The  following  account  by  Col.  Henry  May,  an  original  member  of  the  Club, 
is  of  interest: 

"President  Cleveland  went  to  Santee  on  his  private  car  with  Admiral  Evans 
and  several  others,  including  myself,  all  after  sport.  When  we  went  to  his  blind 
we  got  out  the  big  boat,  which  was  built  for  the  President.  Getting  into  the 
blind  was  a  feat.  The  darkey  guide  and  myself  boosted  him  out  of  the  mud, 
which  was  a  job — 265  pounds  and  deep  mud.  As  I  held  my  fire  out  of 
respect,  he  insisted  that  I  should  shoot  at  all  ducks  on  my  side  of  the  blind. 
'Play  fair,'  he  said.  We  had  a  fine  shoot  and  were  all  pleased.  The  yacht, 
'Water  Lily,"  on  which  we  lived  was  a  sight  to  see  when  we  left.  The  members 
had  loaded  her  with  deer  on  decks,  wild  turkeys  on  pilot-house,  several  dozen 
snipe  and  woodcock.  A  yacht  of  game.  The  'Water  Lily,'  a  government 
vessel,  was  most  comfortable.  My  berth  was  foot  to  foot  with  President 
Cleveland's.  When  we  turned  in  he  said,  'Colonel,  get  to  sleep  quick  before 
me.'  Afraid  I  might  fancy  he  would  snore,  but  he  didn't.  He  was  jolly  and 
most  interesting. 

"Experiences:  Out  for  stalking  deer  with  my  express  rifle;  barked  a  gray 
squirrel  with  white  feet  and  white  tail,  brought  it  to  the  taxidermist  in  Wash- 
ington, who  said  he  had  never  seen  one  like  it.  There  was  no  mark  on  it — 
just  killed  by  concussion.  He  stated  he  had  lost  it  (probably  sold  it).  First 
experience  in  blind  for  wild  turkeys;  a  big  gobbler  landed  some  ten  yards 
from  blind,  began  to  feed. 

"I  was  reading  just  then.  Picked  up  my  gun  and  was  immediately  taken  with 
turkey  fever.  I  shook  like  an  Eastern  Shore  chill.  I  put  down  the  gun  O.  K. 
The  moment  I  touched  it,  a  chill  again;  so  I  arose  and  told  Mr.  Gobbler  to 
beat  it,  which  he  did.  Not  so  remarkable,  as  one  of  our  members  on  a  deer 
drive,  hid  behind  a  tree,  and  then  a  big  buck  came  and  looked  at  him.  A 
remark  by  a  member  that  I  slaughtered  turkeys  came  when  three  flew  over  my 
head.   I  dropped  two  and  then  killed  the  third. 

"A  charming  set  of  members  full  of  sport  and  ready  to  arise  at  5  o'clock, 
after  bridge  till  midnight.  The  dove  flights  and  woodcock  season  was  the  joy 
of  Admiral  Brownson.  I  killed  twenty-six  one  morning  in  less  than  an  hour. 
I  regret  so  many  of  my  friends  have  departed  this  life.  I  hope  they  will  find 
a  Santee  in  the  other  hunting  grounds." 



Ivers  S.  Adams,  Hardwick,  Mass.  ''^■^' 

James  D.  Black,  Jobstown,  N.  J. 

Henry  H.  Carter,  99  Chauncy  St.,  Boston,  Mass.  '»««■-■ 

E.  Gerry  Chadwick,  23  West  26th  St.,  New  York,  N.  Y. 

C.  M.  Clark,   1531   Locust  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

J.  Dudley  Clark,  60  State  St.,  Boston,  Mass.  -i 

Carl  P.  Dennett,  80  Federal  St.,  Boston,  Mas^. 

H.  P.  Glendinning,  Packard  Bldg.,  15th  and  Chestnut  Sts. 

R.  Wistar  Harvey,  226  South  19th  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa.     — 

Oliver  C.  Hoyt,  250  Park  Ave.,  New  York,  N.  Y. 

Ralph  H.  Knode,  Bryn  Mawr,  Pa. 

William  A.  Law,  Sixth  and  Walnut  Sts.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Malcolm  Lloyd,  Jr.,  701  Commercial  Trust  Bldg.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

George  D.  Macbeth,  Charleroi,  Pa. 

Wm.  Clarke  Mason,  135  South  Broad  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Charles  G.  Meyer,  62  William  St.,  New  York,  N.  Y. 

Marshall  S.  Morgan,  135  South  Broad  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Robert  McLean,  Bulletin  Building,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

William  L.  McLean,  Jr.,  Bulletin  Bldg.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Daniel  E.  Pomeroy,  230  Park  Ave.,  New  York,  N.  Y.  t       A 

B.  B.  Reath,  2nd,  12i^iith.  Fifth  St.,  Philadelphia,  V&.  3 / f  ffoi^^Uilf' Ct 

George  W.  B.  Roberts,  1806  DcLancey  Place,  Philadelphia,  Pa.  ^ 

Horatio  S.  Shonnard,  Harrietta  Plantation,  Santee,  S.  C.      ''«» 

Phineas  W.  Sprague,  10  Post  Office  Square,  Boston,  Mass. 

Floyd  T.  Starr,  Laverock,  Chestnut  Hill,  Pa. 

Horace  C.  Stebbins,  20  East  82nd  St.,  New  York,  N.  Y. 

Dr.  E.  Winslow  Taylor,  Station  Z,  Queen  Lane,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Paul  Thompson,  1510  Chestnut  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 

Edward  L.  Welsh,  304  Walnut  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa.— «* 

Richard  D.  Wood,  512  Walnut  St.,  Philadelphia,  Pa. 


3  5197  00143120  7 




Gaylord  Bros.,  Inc. 

'  Makers 
Syracuse,  N.  Y. 

PAT.  JAN  2i,  1908